El Paso Police, Firefighters Agree to Short-term Pay Freeze
By By David Burge / El Paso Times
EL PASO - Unionized police officers and firefighters agreed today to a short-term pay freeze, and City Council members responded by giving them a standing ovation.
Police gave up a 2 percent raise for four months. But they will receive a separate 2 percent pay hike in June 2010, meaning they will get raises totaling 4 percent during the next calendar year.
Firefighters gave up a 3 percent increase for three months.
In all, the concessions from the two unions will save the city $1.8 million, City Manager Joyce Wilson said.
Seventy-two percent of the firefighters' union and 68 percent of the police union approved the concessions.
See Thursday's El Paso Times for more on this story.